.

Friday, August 21, 2020

People In Your Major Are, and Will Be, Your Best Friends

People In Your Major Are, and Will Be, Your Best Friends One of the things that I was excited for when I came to UIUC was that I could finally be surrounded by people just like me. Now, I dont mean people who were my twin. Im talking about people in my major, which is advertising. My friends teased me in high school for geeking out over commercials, while everyone disliked when commercials came on during their favorite TV show or the football game. But I knew somewhere and someplace there were people who had similar interests as me. Finally, when I came to UIUC, I realized after being in advertising classes with the dynamic and intelligent advertising majors in the College of Media, I knew I found my best friends. During and after class, we would talk about the newest Snapchat features and the commercials that made us cry. Have you seen that Extra gum commercial with that cute couple, by the way? Anyways, the best part of being with people who have similar interests and the same major as you, is that you realize youre all in this together and you want each other to succeed; theres nothing like those late night study sessions at the Undergraduate Library too. You even get to join and even become leaders of clubs with them. For example, I recently became a part of the executive board of the American Advertising Federation, a student advertising club on campus with my advertising major friends. We all have goals of pursuing a job in the advertising industry, and just yesterday, I went to an internship panel put on by students in the College of Media who had advertising internships this past summer. What hit me the most is that they said, You guys are all going to be in the industry together one day. Use each other and become friends. This made me realize that not only are those students in my classes my friends, but one day they can be my co-workers. Its such a cool thought to think about and it makes me so thankful I go to a university where I can connect with students who have the same goals and career interests as me. No matter what major, minor, or interest you have here at Illinois, I promise there are students who are just like you, who you can share amazing experiences with. Daniel Class of 2018 I’m an Advertising major in the College of Media. I’m from a northwest suburb of Chicago called Buffalo Grove. I chose Illinois because it was the first university in the entire world to offer an Advertising major, which is pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment